There is a moment every Wellesley winter when you can’t uncover the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be emanating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help save money and reduce drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts may be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Wellesley home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with operable abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the functional portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only function as well as it is set up.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Wellesley to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Wellesley a call at 781-239-1161 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.